Lexaria Bioscience Corp. (NASDAQ: LEXX) is a global innovator in drug delivery platforms. The company’s patented technology, DehydraTECH™, improves the way active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) enter the bloodstream by
promoting healthier oral ingestion methods and increasing the effectiveness of fat-soluble active molecules. DehydraTECH promotes fast-acting, less expensive and more effective oral drug delivery and has been thoroughly evaluated through in vivo, in vitro and human clinical testing.
DehydraTECH is covered by 27 issued and more than 50 pending patents in over 40 countries around the world. Lexaria’s first patent was issued by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in October 2016 (US 9,474,725 B1), providing 20 years of patent protection expiring June 2034. Multiple patents have been awarded since then and are expected in the future.
Lexaria has a collaborative research agreement with the National Research Council (NRC), the Canadian government’s premier research and technology organization. The company has filed for patent protection for specific delivery of nicotine, vitamins, NSAIDs, testosterone, estrogen, cannabinoids, terpenes, PDE5 inhibitors (with brand names like Viagra), tobacco and more.
Lexaria began developing DehydraTECH in 2014 and has since continued to strengthen and broaden the technology. The company has no plans to create or sell Lexaria-branded products containing controlled substances. Instead, Lexaria licenses its technology to other companies around the world to offer consumers the best possible performance across an array of ingestible product formats.
The company’s technology is best thought of as an additional layer that providers of consumer supplements, prescription and non-prescription drugs, nicotine and CBD products can utilize to improve the effectiveness of their own existing or planned new offerings. Lexaria has licensed DehydraTECH to multiple companies, including a world-leading tobacco producer for the research and development of smokeless, oral-based nicotine products, and for use in industries that produce
cannabinoid beverages, edibles and oral products.
DehydraTECH is suitable for use with a wide range of product formats including pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals, consumer packaged goods and over-the-counter capsules, pills, tablets and oral suspensions.
Lexaria’s DehydraTECH is designed specifically for formulating and delivering lipophilic (fat-soluble) drugs and active ingredients. DehydraTECH increases their effectiveness and improves the way active pharmaceutical ingredients enter the bloodstream. The major benefits to a subject ingesting a DehydraTECH-enabled drug or consumer product can be summarized by the following:
- Speeds up delivery – the effects of the product are felt by the subject in just minutes.
- Increases bioavailability – the technology is much more effective at delivering a drug or product into the bloodstream.
- Increases brain absorption – animal testing suggests significant improvement in the quantity of drug delivered across the blood-brain barrier.
- Improves drug potency – more of the ingested product is made available to the body, so lower doses are required to achieve the desired effect.
- Reduces drug administration cost – lower doses mean lower overall drug costs.
- Masks unwanted taste – the technology eliminates or reduces the need for sweeteners.
Lexaria has demonstrated in animal studies a propensity for DehydraTECH technology to elevate the quantity of drug delivered across the blood-brain barrier by as much as 1,900 percent, initiating additional new patent applications and opening possibilities for improved drug delivery.
Since 2016, DehydraTECH has repeatedly demonstrated, with cannabinoids and nicotine, the ability to increase bio-absorption by up to five to 10 times, reduce time of onset from one to two hours to just minutes, and mask unwanted tastes. The technology is to be further evaluated for additional orally administered bioactive molecules, including antivirals, cannabinoids, vitamins, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and nicotine.
- Lexaria Bioscience Corp. has disruptive proprietary technology protected by a broad international patent portfolio.
- The company has been issued 27 patents in the U.S., European Union and other countries, with more than 50 patents pending around the world.
- Lexaria’s DehydraTECH technology has a vast worldwide, multi-billion-dollar total addressable market, including multiple rapid-growth segments like cannabinoid and noncombustible nicotine delivery.
- The company has licensed its fat-soluble active molecule delivery technology to multiple established companies for use in their products.
- Lexaria completed an uplisting to Nasdaq Capital Markets and an $11 million financing in January 2021.
Lexaria Bioscience (NASDAQ: LEXX, LEXXW), a global innovator in drug delivery platforms, was featured in an interview produced by PCG Digital Holdings LLC and published on NewMediaWire. John Docherty, Lexaria’s president and head of research, discussed the company’s efforts to investigate the potential therapeutic utility of its proprietary DehydraTECH(TM)-CBD against
dementia and diabetes, two of the world’s largest public health crises. Lexaria recently demonstrated DehydraTECH-CBD’s exceptional safety and tolerability in a human hypertension study, as well as statistically significant lowering of blood pressure over multiple weeks (something that previous studies by others have failed to evidence). Strong connections exist between hypertension, dementia and diabetes. “Hypertension and dementia are linked. Clinical studies have shown that
individuals who have high blood pressure are more likely to develop vascular dementia. Similarly, there are strong connections between heart disease, hypertension and diabetes. Hypertension is twice as frequent in diabetics, and hypertensive patients are at greater risk of developing diabetes,” Docherty said. “We are excited to investigate whether DehydraTECH-CBD has a potential application in the treatment of dementia and diabetes based on its propensity to cross the blood-brain
barrier, the fact that DehydraTECH-CBD lowers human blood pressure and the fact that CBD is known to have vasodilatory, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.”
To view the full source article, visit: https://ibn.fm/WohVf